These Real Estate Movies were chosen from your professional peers. Read below, see which real estate movies you agree with and which ones you'd like to add to your own list to watch.
You'll also find recommended movies and docuseries that are not real estate specific, however, these have much value, inspiration and insight for all business owners and entrepreneurs – and real estate agents are business owners!
Comment below and mention your favorite real estate movies that are or are not mentioned here.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
16 Best Real Estate Movies For Agents
These movies are not in order of importance. You'll find some may be a favorite of yours, others aren't and some you may not be familiar with. Take a look and add some to your list.
Real Estate Move #1 – “The Big Short”
In their research they saw what the big banks, media and government refused to: the global collapse of the economy. It's a riveting story you don't want to miss.
Real Estate Movie #2 – “99 Homes”
2. 99 HOMES – This movie is named time and time again as a must see.
As critic, Paul Byrnes states “It's a gripping thriller with good guys and bad guys, but everyone in it is a victim, including Rick Carver. Bahrani's achievement in this film is breathtaking.”
Real Estate Movie #3 – “I Love You Man”
3. I LOVE YOU MAN – Real Estate Agent, Peter Klaven, is looking to break into the LA luxury scene with a listing for Lou Ferrigno's estate. Peter, newly engaged and with few close friends, goes in search of a best man for his wedding.
This heartwarming comedy is loaded with real estate marketing mentions (offering many laughs) and other topics in which agents can surely relate.
Real Estate Movie #4 – “Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House”
4. MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE – A New York business man and his wife decide they can afford to have a house in the country built to their specifications. It turns out to be a lot more trouble than they could have imagined.
With 4.5 stars (out of 5) this classic keeps you laughing from beginning to end.
Real Estate Movie #5 – “Pacific Heights”
5. PACIFIC HEIGHTS – A young couple, played by Melanie Grifitth and Mathew Modine, move into their first dream home, an expensive Victorian house in San Francisco.
In order to help with renovation costs they decide to rent the first floor of their house. Carter Hayes (Michael Keaton) appears to be a great fit, but as time goes on this perfect tenant has other plans and it doesn't include the owners.
Pacific Heights is filled with twists, turns and how one maniacal person uses the legal system for his own psychopathic agenda.
Real Estate Moive #6 – “Inside Job”
6. INSIDE JOB – This Academy Award-winning documentary, Inside Job, vividly portrays real life events that led to the real estate bubble and then financial Armagaddon. This was not an accident.
As one reviewer states “Everyone should watch this eye-opening documentary to refresh their memory as to how the 2008 financial meltdown occurred.”
Real Estate Movie #7 – “Money Pit”
7. MONEY PIT – Tom Hanks and Shelley Long buy their dream home but their dream turns into something else they never could have imagined.
This comedy from executive producer, Steven Spielberg, is a cautionary tale about what happens when a deal sounds too good to be true.
Real Estate Movie #8 – “Larry Crowne”
8. LARRY CROWN – Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) is forced to give up his real estate dream after he falls behind and becomes underwater on his mortgage.
Laid off, his wife divorces him, he ends up selling everything he owns. He discovers letting go can mean finding oneself within.
Real Estate Movie #9 – “Glengarry Glen Ross”
9. GLENGARRY GLENROSS – A riveting tale of desperation and betrayal based on a Pulitzer-winning play.
This allstar cast shine in this powerful story set in the world of real estate.
Real Estate Movie #10 – “Funny Farm”
10. FUNNY FARM – Married couple, played by Chevy Chase and Madolyn Smith, decide to move to a small New England town so he can write his novel and they can breathe the fresh country air and mow their own lawn.
He's been a sports writer for years, but now he figures with the typewriter placed just exactly right next to the big open window on the second floor overlooking the lawn, conditions will be perfect for the creation of a best seller.
Turns out things aren't perfect for him in his new home and stomping grounds. His wife, however, goes on to sell a children's novel about, well, I'll stop here so I won't spoil it for you.
And More Real Estate Movie Recommendations From Agents and Brokers
Real Estate Movie Suggestion #11 – “Closing Escrow”
11. CLOSING ESCROW – Three quirky families seeking to buy their next home collide when trying to purchase the same property. The bidding war tests the limits of their marriages and the resolve of their agents.
Real Estate Movie Thriller (Disturbing) #12 – ‘Open House'
12. Open House – A couple on the verge of divorce attempt to sell their empty love nest and move on with their lives separately.
After a successful open house they are horrified to discover, days later, that a potential buyer didn't leave their home.
Real Estate Movie Thriller (Disturbing) #13 – ‘Arizona'
13. ARIZONA – Danny McBride stars in this black comedy about a desperate man who kidnaps a real estate agent he blames for all his problems.
Real Estate Movie (Sundance Award) #14 “The Queen Of Versailles”
14. THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES – This Sundance Award Winning Documentary profiles a billionaire couple who run into money troubles while attempting to construct an extravagant mega-mansion inspired by Versailles.
Movie #15 Business Motivation and Inspiration “The Pursuit Of Happyness”
15. THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS – Inspired by a true story we watch as Will Smith plays a riveting and powerful character as he struggles as a single father but has a dream to build a better life for his son. Finding themselves homeless he takes on an internship at a competive stock brokerage where only 1 in 20 even come close to making the grade. This is a moving story I encourage you to watch.
16. The Last Dance Docuseries On Netflix
16. The Last Dance Docuseries On Netflix – I just finished the Netflix Documentary of the Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan “The Last Dance.” It has a 9.1 (out of 10) rating in IMDb. It has A LOT of layers to it and lessons that can be applied in business and life.
If you're looking for something to watch that's poignant and has many business *lessons* you may want to check it out (warning, there is strong language).
One piece that stood out and I've thought about daily since watching one particular episode and how poignant it was:
“My father repeatedly said over and over to me growing up and it was ingrained in me “TURN EVERY NEGATIVE INTO A POSITIVE.” – Michael Jordan
This is how he managed to move through (and grieve) the murder of his father. He retired from basketball the first time and played baseball. If someone can turn such a tragic, horrible event and use it for some type of *good* – there's a lesson in that.
Another piece that stood out and I loved is the focus on how they became champions as a result of and working together as a “TEAM.” THE DREAM TEAM. Each player had a powerful strength and they strengthened each other as a result.
They understood the power of synergy and how powerful it is. It's a moving docuseries. Some was a bit tough for me to watch – but I believe in finding nuggets that can help move one forward in life and business.
Some movies we simply can't get out of our head, some can be life changing with a poignant message and some we simply roll our eyes and quickly forget.
Some real estate movies are cerebral, some are ‘thrillers', others riveting and enlightening and some have you rolling with laughter at the foibles in real estate.
Comment below and share some of your favorites.